The excitement of wearing a gorgeous outfit is one great experience. But it’s not all about the dress that people see. It also takes a right hidden ensemble to make a great outfit. Part of that is a form-fitting brassiere. One of the fashion emergencies women go through once or twice in their stylish lives is finding out that you don’t have the right bra for a spectacular dress. You have a lovely, sequined tube top, but all you have is an old bra with straps. Don’t panic. Read on for a few hacks on how to make a strap bra strapless.
Tips on How to Make a Strap Bra Strapless
It’s not enough to cut the straps off the bra. If the bra in question is not meant to be strapless, its cups may fall off and not fit well onto the chest without the steady support of straps. Here are a few tricks on how to make a strap bra strapless:
Bring the bra around your body
A trick is to bring the straps under the bust to secure the bra in place. What’s good with this method is that your bra is not altered since nothing is snipped away or sewn in. But you need detachable straps for this.
- Detach the straps from the back part of the bra. Using the strap adjustments, loosen them so that they are at their maximum length.
- Wear the bra. Take one strap from the back and bring it around your body under your bust. This strap should now reach the back part of the opposite strap. If this first strap you’re working with is the left strap, for example, it should now be on the backside where you attach the right, opposite strap.
- Now, attach this left strap on the backside hole where the right strap is attached. Do the same with the right strap: bring the right strap around your ribcage and hook it into the backside hole of the left strap.
- Adjust the straps for the right tightness and support.
Tuck them in
Another method of how to make a strap bra strapless is to hide your bra straps by tucking them in. If your bra straps are thin like those of a camisole, you can easily tuck them into the sides of your bra. Still, they might show in a form-fitting dress, so you could try tying the straps and then tucking them in. It takes some getting used to, but you might as well try.
- Remove both straps from your shoulders.
- For thin camisole straps, tie each strap so that they are easier to tuck and not as messy to keep.
- For the typical bra straps, tuck them neatly into the side bands and all the way to the cups of your bra.
Sew in the cups
If you have a little time in your hands, you can sew in a pair of bra cups into your dress that needs strapless intimates. You’ll need a sewing kit for this method.
- Wear your blouse or dress and mark the spot where your bra should be. You may use a pin to mark the spot.
- On a table, lay your dress, exposing its wrong side.
- Pin a pair of bra cups on the wrong side of the spot that you marked earlier.
- Sew the center of the bra cups onto the wrong side of the dress or top.
If you do not have sew-in cups available, you may use the front side of an old bra. Simply snip off the straps to make it strapless, cut off the side bands of the bra so that all that’s left are the front cups, then sew this onto the dress like you would the sew-in cups. Just follow step number 4.
Keep them off your shoulders
If you need to go strapless because you are donning an off-the-shoulder top, you can simply slip the straps off your shoulders for your sleeves to hide. You may need some tape to make this work.
- Wear the bra while keeping the straps on.
- Put on your off-the-shoulder top. Then, slip off your bra straps down to your blouse sleeves where it can stay hidden.
- For an extra hack, you may keep the straps hidden in place with double-sided tape or a fashion tape.
Stick to the good, old convertible bra
This is your simplest, quickest alternative on how to make a strap bra strapless — to look for a convertible bra that could stay up even without its straps on. Most convertible bras have cups that remain in place without them falling off even when strapless. It’s always a good idea to keep a few convertible bras in your closet so you won’t have to panic in any fashion situation.
In any case, a good hack that goes with making a strap bra strapless is to have some fashion tapes or body glue handy. Line your cups and bands with tape or glue, put the bra on, and trust that they won’t slide out of your fancy frock. That’s how to make a strap bra strapless! Find out more about strapless bras.