We try to keep our bras last. But like any other things, they get old and wear out. Stretched bands or straps, dented cups, exposed underwire, and broken clasps are some of the signs telling you that you need to get rid of your bras. What to do with old bras if you do not want them to go to the landfills? Recycling is an excellent option as bra materials do not decompose easily. Read on to discover ways on how to recycle bras.
Donate Old Bras
Believe it or not, recycling bras can make a difference. First, that’s a little less waste in the dumps. Second, your old bras might still be useful to other people.
You’re not the only one who thought about how to recycle bras. Some people created charity movements with this idea. Check out this list of non-profit organizations that know what to do with old bras. Here’s an important reminder: make sure to donate gently used bras or bras that are still comfortable and functional.
- Bras For A Cause gives away lingerie and swimwear to breast cancer survivors. They prioritize women in less fortunate communities.
- Free the Girls helps victims of sex trafficking. The rescued women and girls sell donated bras, giving them a source of income while caring for their families or attending school.
- I Support the Girls send bra donations to shelters, refugee settlement homes, foster care agencies, and pregnant teen homes.
- The Bra Recyclers accepts both gently worn bras and damaged bras. They recycle the textiles and fabrics of donated worn-out bras. At the same time, they send those in good condition to charity partners.
- Donate Your Bra is a volunteer organization that collects bra donations and gives them to charities supporting women.
- Local Shelters. You may also directly give away your gently used bras to homeless women in your community.
Get in touch with these organizations to know how to donate your used bras. These groups also accept new bras for donation.
Deconstruct your worn-out bra. For sure, there are still parts that will be useful for some do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. Get your scissors, needles, and threads ready.
Here are some of the many fun projects on how to recycle bras.
- Floral Headbands. If your old bra straps are still elastic, glue artificial flowers on them to make cute floral straps or headdresses.
- Backless Support. If you have backless dresses and tops without built-in pads, you can sew in your old bra to give yourself extra support. Cut off the straps and other bra parts, depending on the cut of your backless garment. Sew in the remaining part. Next time you wear your backless dress, you need not worry about straps showing off.
- Shoe Inserts. Take out bra pads and insert them on shoes that are too big for you. The soft pads will make those shoes more comfortable.
- Swimsuit Top. Thin and breathable old bras are perfect for this project. Choose a new fabric with your preferred print or design and cover your old bra with it. Cut straps and sew in a matching string or lace to your new swimsuit top
Recycling is always a superb idea. Go ahead, recycle used bras and donate old bras in good condition. Share how to recycle bras with other women. Together, we can create a positive impact on nature and other people’s lives, one old bra at a time. Know more about bra storage hacks.