How To Tie Dye A Sports Bra: Bra Make-Over
Tie dye is a technique with the use of dyeing materials to produce patterns by tying sections of the fabric together. People choose to tie-dye old clothes most of the time because they like it to look new and different. Different garments can be dyed like T-shirts, pants, socks, and other small items. Even a sports bra can be tie-dyed. Learning how to tie dye a sports bra will help you create a colorful sports bra that would go well with some of your leggings.
Tie dyeing may be challenging to some, and during the process, it may be messy and might create stains. To ensure that you effectively tie-die a fabric, you need to know the following hacks:
- You need to ensure that all the materials are ready.
- All the necessary things that will protect you are available such as but not limited to, plastic gloves, plastic, papers, non-absorbent apron, and a rag.
- You know the steps by step procedures.
Tips and Techniques on How to Tie Dye a Sports Bra
Tie dyeing a sports bra is almost the same as tie-dyeing a shirt or any material. You will need the same materials to create a colorful sports bra.
Following are the instructions on how to tie-dye a sports bra:
Prepare the Materials Needed
- Fabric dye
- Fabric (Sports Bra)
- Buckets (one for every dye color used)
- Hose or sink for rinsing
- Long wooden or plastic spoon or painting sticks
- Protective clothing (an apron)
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Rubber bands, cotton yarn or twine
- Gear up – wear old clothing, apron, and rubber gloves before you start.
- Prepare the dye mixture – Mix up the fabric dye in a container or bucket. You can tie dye in one color or a different color. If you use different colors, repeat mixing the fabric dye in separate containers; one color per container. Follow the procedures on the package to get the correct ratio of dye to the water. Ensure that the dye you will use is the right dye on the fabric type you plan to dye.
- Prepare the fabric – Get your sports bra and tie it in different parts or places. You may use a rubber band, cotton yarn, or twine. You may roll up the fabric and then tie it up every few inches. Another way is to lay the sports bra flat and pinch it in the middle, picking it up like a handkerchief. Tie it close where you pinched and in some other parts towards the edges. Ensure that the ties are nice and tight so that the dye will not sleep through some parts under the tie and other parts of the fabric; this is where the design comes from.
- Dye the fabric – If you want to have the sports bra in one color, place the whole fabric into the bucket. If you will use more than one color, soak one part of the fabric, let it sit in the container, and poke it with a plastic or wooden spoon to help spread the dye.
- Test the dye job – Pull out the fabric; if you want the color to be darker, put it back in for a while. Once you get the color that you want, pull it out and rinse it with cold water. Do the same with the fabrics of other parts using other colors.
- Let the dye set – Put the tie dyed sports bra in a plastic bag to keep them moist and allow the dye to set properly.
- Wash the fabric – Once the dye is set, rinse the sports bra and remove all the rubber bands or ties by cutting; be careful not to cut the fabric. Wash it with detergent soap and dry it.
By doing the above procedures on how to tie dye a sports bra, you will give your sports bra a new look that you may mix and match with your different leggings or exercise outfits.
Also, knowing how to tie dye a sports bra and practically do it will help you express yourself and reveal your artistic part.
Learning how to tie dye a sports bra will help you create colorful sportswear. Also, while making the tie-dye activities, you can teach you kids and love ones. The activity will make your bond as a family. You will be creating fun memories with them while making a lovely tie-dye outfit.
October 6, 2020
By: Tyler Reed
A quality sports bra holds the breasts in place, fits snugly around the upper torso, prevents the breasts from bouncing during workout or exercise, or when doing high impact activities.