Different dress styles call for different bra types. The wrong kind of bra does not only ruin the overall look of an outfit. It can cause a wardrobe malfunction, too. One of the trickiest bra types to maneuver is the cross-back bra. In this article, I’ll teach you how to wear cross back bra, plus a few hacks on the side.
A cross-back bra has its straps overlapping each other across the back to form an ‘x’. This is the perfect bra for racerback tops where a normal-strapped bra would be visible. Usually, a cross-back bra comes as a convertible bra, a versatile version that allows you to detach the straps and wear them in so many ways.
A convertible bra is something you need to have in your closet to address your wardrobe woes. This multifunctional bra can be worn strapless for tube tops, single-strapped for venus-cut dresses, haltered for bare-back styles, and cross-back for racerback blouses. Still, some convertible bras can be worn as backless intimates!
To decide on purchasing a convertible bra, make a mental run-down of the clothes in your wardrobe. Can this convertible bra easily have its straps crossed over for your cross-backed or racerback tops? Do the cups of this convertible bra have the right shape and plunge for your blouses that show some decolletage? Or are you looking for something that has full coverage? Is this convertible bra the right color so that it doesn’t show underneath your clothes?
How to Use Convertible Bra Types
There is a wide variety of convertible bras that can be worn in a cross-back style. There are cami bras, bandeaus, sporty bras, seamless shirt bras, and so much more.
To guide you through the range of brassieres available today, let’s examine a few wardrobe pieces and see what convertible bra types should be worn for these.
- Venus-cuts or one-shoulder dresses. With one shoulder bare, this style calls for a bra with only a single strap. Simply remove the strap that falls on the side of the exposed shoulder.
- Bareback or low back dresses and tops with lacey, see-through backs. For this style, especially the see-through ones, you can go for backless bras with adhesives on the cups. But there are convertible bras that also go low on the back, supported by straps crisscrossing on the back’s small.
- Plunging necklines. In contrast to a bandeau or a bra with a thick center joining the cups, a plunge bra is ideal for those sexy necklines.
- Tube tops and strapless dresses. Strapless plunge bras may not be your best bet for these dresses because of the bare hold that they give. Look for a bra that provides full support, considering that you’re going strapless. Simply remove the straps from your convertible bra, and you are good to go.
- Halter tops. You can choose a strapless bra for a halter top, but that would be a mediocre option. Wear your convertible bra in a haltered style where the straps go round your neck. Adjust your straps accordingly for a comfortable fit. To keep the straps from peeking out, make the nape of your halter dress hide these by sticking some double-sided tape on.
- Wide neck or square neck tops. These necklines are very flattering that no strap should get in the way. A strapless corset-type bra will not only be perfectly unseen, but it will give you a lovely shape as well.
- Crisscross tops and Racerbacks. Necklines that crisscross in front or the back of the dress are lovely summer must-haves, and should also come with the right undergarments. For tops that crisscross on the back, this is where you can learn a simple hack on how to wear cross back bra. To ensure that your cross-back bra remains hidden underneath your dress’s crisscross design, simply secure your bra straps by sticking them onto your top. This works the same way for dresses that crisscross in front.
How to Wear Cross Back Bra Hacks
In case you do not have a convertible bra with detachable straps, your basic bra can still work as a cross-back type through these hacks on how to wear cross back bra. So that your straps will not sneak out of your racerback top, you can use either of these trusty essentials:
- An elastic tie or band. Simply adjust your bra straps so that these are loose. When loosened, bring the back straps to the middle to resemble an ‘x’ shape. Using the elastic band, tie the straps together right at the middle where they intersect and make an ‘x’. Then, try the bra on and wear your racerback to check. You shouldn’t see any bra strap peeking out.
- A safety pin. Following the same steps above, loosen your basic bra straps and gather them into the back center. Where the straps form an ‘x’, pierce the safety pin through to tie and fasten the intersection in place. It’s basically the same idea as the first hack, only that, this time, you are using a safety pin instead of an elastic band. Be careful that the head of the safety pin is not against your skin to avoid pricking.
Bras are as interesting as women, and it’s not enough that you know how to wear cross back bra — and you need to have them into your wardrobe. Make sure not to ruin your OOTD or ‘outfit of the day’ by bra straps sticking out. Because let’s face it, ladies, having a wardrobe malfunction could turn your bright day into a gloomy one. So always put these little tips in your pocket; they may just save your day in the future. Find out more about cross back bras.